Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Crafting, take one

In the past week, I have been working on two projects in particular. The idea was to make a baby blanket and a matching doll. I've completed both and here's the results. I think it turned out pretty well. I nicknamed the doll "Stuffy" since the pattern is called "Stuffies". Makes sense, right? I made it in unisex colors so it can be for a boy or a girl. I knitted the doll using the magic loop technique (which hurts my hands A LOT) and I crocheted the blanket using a large size M hook. I used an acrylic yarn (Red Heart) for both. Sorry about the technical details, I'm a geek ;).















OH NO STUFFY!!!! (jk, this was before he was put together)



So you might be thinking, "Great? So why are you making this? You're not pregnant are you?!?!?" The answer to that is a resounding "NO!". Haha, instead I'm making them for charity. I joined a group on ravelry called Bundles of Joy that gets a group of people together to donate items (baby, child, and adult) to the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota - mainly the OB ward. I'm donating mine to Lakota Oyate Wakanyeja Owicakiyapi, Inc or LOWO which is a child welfare agency and a family assistance program. If you've never heard of Pine Ridge (neither had I really until I joined the group), it is one of the most impoverished places in the country. Here's a little tidbit I found on it:

"Pine Ridge Reservation is the poorest spot in the USA. The average life expectancy for residents is only 47 for males and early 50s for women. The unemployment rate is 90% and the teen suicide rate is four times the national average. Basics such as running water, heat and food are scarce for many residents let alone jobs and health care. These challenges are particularly difficult to deal with given the geographical isolation of the Rez and the incredibly harsh climate."

After hearing about this, I figured that I would get stuff together to donate items that I had accumulating around the house and make a few to send. You'd be surprised that since I've started knitting in 2004 that I had actually made a lot of baby things and blankets that could be donated. In fact, almost all of the things I have submitted to the local county youth fair has been baby stuff. Obviously I won't use these items anytime soon (I would hope), so I'll give them to people who would appreciate it more than I would.

In other news, I submitted some more apps. Hopefully something awesome will pan out.

Today's video is in honor of my current Avatar on the Ravelry site.

1 comment:

  1. Wild vid. At the end it even looked like he was lipsync'ing. Now I get your avatar.

    ReplyDelete